Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Patchwork Math Class is in Session

Hello Everyone,
 
Yesterday the girls came prepared with their thinking caps on, blocks, fabrics, and sewing machines, for my Patchwork Math class at In Between Stitches.
 

The whole premise of the Patchwork Math resource manual and class, is having all the basic math equations in hand, and learning how to calculate and change the size of 12 different quilting components from flying geese to square in a square.

I went over the calculations first, then the girls went to work and learned the construction techniques for the different components.  The parts and pieces started to decorate the design walls.


The girls, (and I) played with the components turning them every which way and combined, and changed, and recombined them again and again to create many different blocks.


There are three different components in this block, yet it looks much more complicated than it is.  The book gave the girls the tools to make the components any size they wanted to make. 


The components can be used in the blocks, or resize them to become sashings or borders.


Again, there are only three different components in this block.


There are only two components in this block, yet look at the complexity.  It's all about fabric selection and playing with the different components.


Using the components in the book, and applying the techniques, Candace is going to frame each Geisha block and then combine them into a wall hanging.


Wonderful selection of color.


Can you count the components in this block?  The Y-square makes a subtle, alternate pinwheel design.






The girls worked HARD yesterday.  They were delightful and made my job an easy one.  Thank you all for being great students who put the manual through its paces with amazing results.

Soon,
Lynn

8 comments:

  1. What a fun day for everyone ! I really enjoyed seeing all the different quilt blacks they made

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn, this looks fascinating--something even I could understand, and I don't consider myself a math whiz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the proud owner of your book, I find it the most valuable tool in my quilting library! Great work from everyone! I almost thought I might have been in the class, but then remembered I haven't made any Geisha blocks (wink)!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynne, do you sell the book to the UK? Looks wonderful
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done ladies and you must be a great teacher. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks as though there are some great blocks being born on your design walls. Well done to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I've got so much to learn. This post is so inspiring :)
    Thank you, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a fantastic class! I am sure everyone learned a lot! Wish I would have been there!

    ReplyDelete