Sunday, July 31, 2016

Two Sew'n Wild Oaks Classes Were In Session

Hello Everyone,
 
I knew last week was going to be a busy one, but I didn't realize just how busy it was going to be until it was over. 
 
I taught Heritage at Cloth and Quilts in Turlock on Thursday.  Here is a small sample of the progress the girls made.
 


Ann had all of the little pieces cut for the blocks nicely organized on two pieces of leftover cardboard from bolts of fabric.  This idea is genius!


Once I subcut my strips up into pieces they usually go into little baggies.  Not anymore.  I absolutely loved this organizational idea.


The class loved the block layout sheet.  Once they got one block under their belt, they started to fly.



 Stacks and stacks of little parts and pieces for Heritage dotted the classroom.


I do love to see the patterns made in alternative colorways.  Marlene selected all Kansas Trouble warm and cozy fabrics.  Stunning!


Pam has a bit of a cowboy theme in her quilt.  Her paisley was yummy.  Pam is coming to my retreat in September, so we will all get to see her beauty come together.

 
Judy dropped by to show me her finished Country Charmer quilt!  Her fabric selection was so unique and beautiful.  I loved her interpretation of my pattern. 
 
You Turlock girls are fantastic!  I feel right at home in your classroom. Thank you so much for the fun day and your welcoming nature.
 

 
Yesterday I taught my Let's Make a Diehl class at In Between Stitches.  We started working on a little table topper from Kim's latest book.
 

 
I shared the idea about using the bolt cardboard with them, and they adopted the idea right off the bat!  It is a fabulous way to store the little 1-1/2" x 1-1/" squares.
 


Space is at a premium when the classroom is full, so I see lots of different ways to keep organized.




I also demonstrated foundation paper-piecing.  A couple of the girls made some little 4-1/2"  houses.  I LOVE foundation paper-piecing......once I wrapped my head around the concept.  It is like rubbing your head and patting your tummy at the same time.  Such a different approach to quilting that can be frustrating, yet extremely satisfying when it all comes together in the end.



You will be seeing lots more of the Kim Diehl projects over the next few months.  Most of the girls who attended by class yesterday are also in my Sew'n Wild Oaks classes.

This coming week will be much calmer for me.  Maybe I can actually get some quilting done on my projects!  Now that's a novel idea.

Soon,
Lynn

6 comments:

  1. Looks like the girls did you proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great class - love the different interpretations of Heritage! And the bolt cardboard - well I hope you gave Ann a huge gold star! I'll be stalking my LQS for a few of those now!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the log cabin with the Heritage block I believe. Is there a pattern for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is a pattern for Heritage. The link is at the top of the page under "My Patterns". So glad you like it!

      Delete
  4. I love this pattern, Sew'n Wild Oaks, so in my wishful thinking mode, I thought the picture of the stacks and stacks... was snacks and snacks, and that the picture was of a tray of cookies someone made for the class.. I though how awesome was that. Now I have a great idea for my next after covid class with real humans ! back on topic is there a shopping list for this pattern I could get in advance of getting the pattern? I take forever to pick out fabrics. I love all the shared pictures here. beautiful work !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This made me laugh, Jules. Thank you for that. Are you interested in the Heritage pattern? Send me your email, and I'll send you the fabric requirements. Take care, Lynn

      Delete